It was set to be the Hawks' first NBL Blitz game on home soil, but Thursday night's clash with the Breakers has been called off due to a COVID scare.
The NBL announced on Tuesday afternoon that the Illawarra's third pre-season match at the WEC would be called off after four people within the NZ travelling party tested positive to COVID.
All New Zealand players and staff are double vaccinated, but the decision to cancel the game was made in line with the NBL's health and safety protocols.
Each team will receive three-and-a-half points for the Blitz standings.
"Our team has followed best practices, but unfortunately, a number of individuals have experienced symptoms," Breakers owner Matt Walsh said.
"We will continue to follow the advice of medical professionals and the NBL and look forward to being back on the court soon."
This year's NBL Blitz marks the 27th time the pre-season tournament has had all teams competing. However, it is the first time the Hawks have been scheduled to play an official pre-season game in Wollongong.
The Hawks will now turn their attention towards Saturday's clash with rivals Sydney at the WEC. Brian Goorjian's men will look to notch up their third win of the Blitz, having recorded wins over the Phoenix and Melbourne United in Victoria last week.
"The coaches and players are obviously disappointed to not continue their momentum built over the past two Blitz games in Melbourne," Hawks president Dorry Kordahi said.
"We will now turn our attention to Saturday's blockbuster against the Kings and urge all Hawks fans to come out in force and support their team as we attempt to go 3-0 against our bitter rivals."
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, pleasesubscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.