he Housing Industry Association has awarded Gavin Hepper, of Fairy Meadow business Concepts By Gavin Hepper, the HIA NSW Kitchen Designer of the Year for a kitchen he designed at Coledale.
Mr Hepper, a kitchen designer in the Illawarra for 25 years, said the Oceanview Project was inspired by the dramatic beauty of the Illawarra coastline and involved innovation and functionality in a kitchen for the whole family to gather
He said the centrepiece of the renovation was a kitchen island that provided "form, texture and grandeur in its visual impact".
Mr Hepper said it was a great honour to recieve such an accolade but the best reward was the satisfaction of his clients who had complete faith in his vision.
He said he was able to achieve what he has with incredible support from his suppliers and tradespeople.
He said it was also great to be able to bring the statewide award home to the Illawarra.
Read Mr Heppers description of the kitchen below;
- Inspired by the dramatic beauty of our coastline, our Oceanview Project showcases innovation in design and functionality to deliver a stunning space for this family to gather
- The centrepiece of this renovation is the kitchen island, providing form, texture and grandeur in its visual impact.
- Exploring the boundaries in innovation-in-design and manufacturing we specified Staron - solid surfaces. Appearing as one complete solid piece, thermoformed into the flowing curves and sculpted into our design, enabling the creation of this incredible piece of furniture that is stain resistant, durable and hygienic.
- Details include the soft curves and opposing angles of the island, a seamless view with cladded drawer fronts and an incredible centre storage on hydraulic lift.
- Staron has been used in the kitchen benchtop surfaces also, where it is again wrapped and formed around curves and extends down into the sink to provide a truly seamless integration and design experience
- Provenance and connection to our homes is very important to us, with inspiration taken from the local, iconic lighthouse and headland to form the curved fluting in the under-bench, to the dramatic ocean seascapes and its every changing colour in light and shade.
- Our customised colour scheme of Ocean Tones here in this family kitchen represents the design restraint and compliment and contrast in the palette
The Illawarra Mercury newsroom is funded by our readers. You can subscribe to support our journalism here.