UPDATE 8AM: A NSW Fire and Rescue spokesperson has confirmed a fire which caused severe and extensive damage to a Coniston home began in the garage.
"The occupant in the home heard a pop, and saw the fire," the spokesperson said.
"They called 000 and got out of the house. No one was in the garage at the time."
A small amount of asbestos was found in the garage, and after the fire was extinguished rendered safe by Fire and Rescue crews.
It is believed the fire was caused by a fault in a battery charger.
NSW Fire and Rescue encourages people to only purchase electronic goods that have been tested and approved to Australian standards.
Fire crews battled to bring a blaze at a Coniston home under control on Thursday afternoon.
A Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman said crews were called to the single-storey house around 2.19pm and arrived to find it "well alight".
The spokesman said it looked like the fire had started in the garage and all occupants were out of the house.
"I heard three loud bangs, but I thought it was a car accident," a neighbour told the Mercury.
"Smoke was billowing out and someone must have called triple-zero because it only took the firies a couple of minutes to arrive.
"The owner came rushing home and ran into the house, I could hear screaming, I'm not sure if it was him screaming for his wife or who was screaming."
The Illawarra Mercury newsroom is funded by our readers. You can subscribe to support our journalism here.