Attacks by jihadis have killed at least 22 people in northwestern Burkina Faso and injured several others, the government says.
The "cowardly and barbaric" attack occurred late on Sunday in the commune of Bourasso in Kossi province, Babo Pierre Pierre Bassinga, governor of Boucle du Mouhoun region, said in a statement.
The West African nation has been overrun by jihadi violence linked to al-Qaida and the Islamic State group in recent years.
Violence has killed thousands and displaced nearly two million people from their homes.
Mutinous soldiers ousted Burkina Faso's democratically elected president in January promising to secure the country, but violence has increased and spread.
More than 530 violent incidents occurred between February and May, more than double the level during the same period of 2021, according to the Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project.
At least 135 people were killed in 12 attacks during the first two weeks of June, according to an internal security report for aid workers seen by The Associated Press.
In an attempt to stem the violence, last month the ruling military junta announced the creation of two military zones in the hard-hit eastern and Sahel regions, forcing civilians to leave their homes within two weeks and prompting concerns it would worsen the crisis of displaced people.
Analysts say the Boucle du Mouhoun region where Sunday's attacks took place has become a hub for militants as violence once focused on the eastern and northern regions has expanded west.
"The latest attack in northwestern Burkina Faso is another link to the chain of uncontainable terror that's plagued the Sahel for the past two years," Laith Alkhouri, CEO of Intelonyx Intelligence Advisory, which provides intelligence analysis, said.
"It should urge the de facto government to act and seek international security support to stem the violence."
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.