Christmas in prison for robbery accused

A Cringila woman will spend Christmas behind bars after being denied bail over allegations she lured a man into her car near Beaton Park before driving to Keiraville and robbing him.

Police allege Allyson Galvin and another man stole the victim's mobile phone and wallet and left him by the side of Robsons Road on the afternoon of December 4.

Police documents tendered to Wollongong Local Court yesterday during Galvin's bail application said she and the co-accused first came into contact with the alleged victim earlier that afternoon when the trio were playing the pokies at Wiseman Park Bowling Club at Gwynneville.

It is alleged the pair noticed the man give $600 to a friend before returning to play his machine.

A short time later, Galvin and the co-accused walked towards the front of the club. However, it is alleged Galvin returned to the pokie area and handed a piece of paper to the victim containing her phone number.

He agreed to meet her at the Beaton Park tennis centre car park, where it is allege the co-accused ordered him to get into Galvin's car.

It is alleged Galvin drove "erratically" to a secluded area in Keiraville where the pair demanded the victim's wallet and mobile phone, and prevented him from exiting the car. When they discovered it virtually empty, the co-accused dragged the victim out of the vehicle and the two sped off, leaving the man by the the road, police documents allege.

The victim walked to a bus stop and alerted some university students who contacted police.

Galvin was arrested a week later in Wollongong and charged with robbery in company and take and detain in company with intent to obtain a financial advantage.

Galvin's lawyer, Angela Melouney, yesterday said her client had kept out of trouble for two years and wanted to be at liberty to spend Christmas with her family.

She said Galvin would agree to abide by strict bail conditions and an acceptable person could put up a monetary bond to ensure she turned up to future court dates.

However, Magistrate Michael Stoddart refused the application, noting the prosecution case against Galvin appeared to be a strong one.

He said if convicted, Galvin faced prison sentences of up to 20 years.

The matter will return to court in February.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide