Primbee gas explosion hospitalises teen

A 19-year-old man has received second-degree burns to 18 per cent of his body after igniting a gas pipe while welding in a pit on a Primbee property late today.

Emergency services were called to the scene by neighbours who came to the man’s assistance after the gas pipe exploded around 5.45pm.

NSW Ambulance Service district inspector Terry Morrow said the man received burns to both legs, and to his nasal passages, from the explosion.

‘‘The man was welding in a trench outside the house when the hot rod on the welding line came in contact with the natural gas line and it exploded,’’ Inspector Morrow said. 

‘‘He screamed out and neighbours came to his assistance and called Triple Zero.

‘‘We bought in the rescue helicopter doctor from Albion Park airport to assess the extent of his burns and in consultation with the burns unit at Concord hospital we determined that he should be taken to Wollongong Hospital.

‘‘Intensive care paramedics are transporting him and treating him for pain relief, fluid replacement and burns.’’

Inspector Morrow said the man was conscious but had quite significant burns and blistering to his lower legs.

A number of NSW Fire and Rescue crews and police were also in attendance, and worked to stabilise the scene until the gas company arrived to switch off the gas. No evacuations were necessary.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop