Port Kembla stack to be demolished in February

The 198 metre Port Kembla stack will be demolished next February after  the state government signed off on the plans.

A review into Port Kembla Copper’s demolition plans by a working group of government agencies found:

· The stack is structurally sound and will remain so until the date of demolition;

· There is no asbestos  in the stack;

· The demolition technique is appropriate to the circumstances on the site and can be safely done;

· The techniques proposed to manage dust emissions from the demolition site are best practice and should appropriately minimise air quality impacts on surrounding properties;

· The proposed evacuation of surrounding properties is extensive and will adequately manage risks while minimising disruption to the community;

· The proposed noise, vibration and dust monitoring network to be established around the site is comprehensive and will appropriately measure and verify impacts; and

· Structural impacts on properties in the vicinity of the demolition site are unlikely.

Port Kembla stack demolition raises fears

Signing off on the plans means Port Kembla Copper can now finalise arrangements for the day of demolition, which will include evacuation of surrounding properties in the exclusion zone, road closures and other important safety measures.

The community will be given two months notice prior to demolition and will be thoroughly briefed by the company in advance of the demolition date on procedures and arrangements for the demolition day.

GALLERY: Port Kembla Stack in the frame

PKC welcomed the state government’s approval and announced the demolition date would be February 20, 2014.

In a statement it said the date had been set in consultation with the planning department and Infrastructure and Illawarra South Coast Emergency Management Committee.

The company said it would follow up with residents and businesses within the exclusion zone to ensure they are aware of the date and confirm their arrangements for the day. 

The working group included the NSW Department of Planning and Infrastructure; the Environment Protection Authority (EPA); WorkCover NSW; NSW Police; and Wollongong City Council.

Details: stackinfo.com.au or planning.nsw.gov.au/portkemblastack

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop