ONE of the Illawarra's most longstanding landmarks is no more, with the demolition of the Oxford Tavern completed over the weekend.
Built in 1839, it was originally known as Elliott's Family Hotel and was a two-storey building with verandahs and a lace railing.
In 1893 it was renamed the Royal Hotel and then in 1916 the name was changed again to the Oxford Hotel.
The building was given an art deco makeover in the 1930s and in more recent years it became a popular live music venue. The Oxford closed its doors in 2010.
Two 14-storey residential and commercial towers will be built on the site.