Albion Park scooter attack survivor on the improve

Laneway attack

Laneway attack

An Albion Park teenager who suffered life-threatening injuries in an attack involving a metal scooter has taken a turn for the better.

A week after the disturbing daylight attack, the teen’s condition has been downgraded from critical but stable, to serious but stable.

His mother has expressed relief, but cautions her son remains a long way from well. 

“It’s going to be a long and slow recovery for him,” she told the Mercury, via an Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District spokeswoman. 

The injured boy’s family has expressed gratitude to hospital staff and their wide community of well-wishers. 

On Thursday, on social media, the teen’s father announced his son had been taken off life support and was to be moved to the hospital’s neuro-high dependency ward. “They will start a little bit of rehab today to try and get his muscles working again and assess what brain function is weak or has been affected,” he said. 

“He appears to remember past events and people but hasn't really been pushed. All is looking positive but he still has a long road ahead of him.” 

Details of the alleged attack have shocked and disturbed the Illawarra and the teen's plight has prompted multiple fundraising campaigns. 

Legislation prevents the Mercury from identifying him or his alleged attacker, as both boys are aged 16. 

Police say the boys crossed paths in a pedestrian laneway between Beveridge Street and Tongarra Road about 1.45pm on April 8, each accompanied by a friend.

The aggressor allegedly hit his victim to the head with the scooter before fleeing.

Police arrested him at a Warilla home about 9.15pm April 9 and refused him bail, citing his “extensive criminal history given his age”, including convictions for past violent offences. 

He was charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and the assault of a second victim – the injured teen’s friend. 

The accused boy did not apply for bail and was this was formally refused at Port Kembla Children’s Court on Tuesday.

The matter will return to court next month. 

A 14-year-old believed to have played a role in the attack is to be dealt with under the Young Offenders Act.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop