Hume Motorway still closed after truck fire

The fully ablaze truck on the Wingecarribee River Bridge along the Hume Motorway on Wednesday morning. The northbound lanes are expected to remain closed until noon on Friday. Picture: NSW Rural Fire Service, Facebook
The fully ablaze truck on the Wingecarribee River Bridge along the Hume Motorway on Wednesday morning. The northbound lanes are expected to remain closed until noon on Friday. Picture: NSW Rural Fire Service, Facebook

Both northbound lanes of the Hume Motorway at Berrima are expected to remain closed until at least noon on Friday, following a truck fire.

On Wednesday morning a truck struck the railing on the Wingecarribee River Bridge and caught on fire.

The driver suffered minor injuries and was released from hospital that afternoon.

Following the accident, a contra-flow has been set up on the southbound lanes – where one lane is operating in each direction.

Heavy vehicles with loads more than 3.5 metres wide are unable to use the contraflow.

Roads and Maritime Services Executive Director Regional and Freight Roy Wakelin-King said there has been extensive damage to the northbound bridge.

RMS staff had been on site since Wednesday assessing the road surfaces and the bridge.

“While everything will be done to get this bridge reopened as quickly as possible, safety is the main priority and if required, the bridge will remain closed until around noon on Friday, October 13,” Mr Wakelin-King said.