Blueys coach sees upside in strike force

Wollongong Olympic's Mark Picciolini has eyes only for the ball during his team's 3-1 loss to Tarrawanna. Picture: ADAM MCLEAN
Wollongong Olympic's Mark Picciolini has eyes only for the ball during his team's 3-1 loss to Tarrawanna. Picture: ADAM MCLEAN


Tarrawanna broke through for an important win over Wollongong Olympic on Saturday.

Star attacker Rick Goodchild scored twice - once in each half - to send the Blueys to the top of the ladder with a 3-1 result.

Their position at the summit may be a false dawn however with many of the title contenders yet to play some or any of their fixtures.

After draws in their opening two fixtures, Tarrawanna coach Luke McGuire was happy to see his players celebrate their first three points.

"We probably could have had a few more, but it was good to get three goals and three points," McGuire said.

"It was just good that we took our chances today.

"It was good to see the likes of Ricky and Ilij [Prenzoski] put away the goals that needed to be put away."

McGuire had stressed before the game his desire for the Blueys' strike force to put away their chances and he didn't leave Tarrawanna Oval disappointed.

After Sam Gordon scrambled home the opening goal of the match for Olympic, Goodchild worked his way into the match with a goal from just outside the 18-yard box.

With scores level at the break, Goodchild doubled his tally in the 51st minute when he finished off a smooth passing movement through the midfield.

A patient finish off the rebound by Ilija Prenzoski, after Hayden Durose initially made a super save, sealed the result with less than 10 minutes remaining.

"Against Olympic you are never comfortable but when we scored our third I think it took the wind out of their sails a fair bit.

"The last 10 or 15 minutes of the game were a bit easier," McGuire said.

"Both teams pressed really hard during the game and it was a really high-intensity game. It was probably one of the quickest games we have been involved in, in a couple of years.

"It was really fast paced and the tackles were flying in."

In Saturday's other fixture, Woonona came out on top in their derby match against Bulli with a 2-1 victory.

The match began frantically with Trent Worthington opening the scoring for the Sharks from the penalty spot on 15 minutes before Jared Fish equalised two minutes later.

But the Sharks eventually got the winner midway through the second half through Kyran Della Vedova.


Discuss "Blueys coach sees upside in strike force"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.