Port Kembla prevail over Tarrawanna to halt slide

Tarrawanna's Blaise Gassin and Port Kembla's William Mobbs in a close contest. Picture: ADAM McLEAN
Tarrawanna's Blaise Gassin and Port Kembla's William Mobbs in a close contest. Picture: ADAM McLEAN


How the mighty have fallen.

The last time Port Kembla met Tarrawanna at Wetherall Park they were playing off for a spot in the 2013 grand final.

On Sunday, the Premier League heavyweights were scrapping to relaunch their seasons.

Like last season's preliminary final, it would be Port who again took the honours.

A 1-0 win and a valuable three points to get them moving back in the right direction.

"Who knows it could help to kick-start our season a little bit," Port Kembla coach Stuart Beedie said.

"We needed the three points more than the performance. We have to hope the performance comes afterwards.

"But to get us going today at home, first game of the second round, the three points were the priority. We got them."

Matt Teseriero got the match's only goal just after the half-hour mark.

Just minutes after missing a one-on-one chance, the fleet-footed striker pick-pocketed Blueys defender Tor Preece near the halfway mark and raced away to fire into the roof of the net.

Vaughan Patterson tried to bring the Blueys back level from long distance before the half-time break but had his shot tipped over the bar by David Poeira.

The match petered out into a midfield grind in the second half with neither side really testing the keeper.

Tarrawanna were probably shading Port in possession but couldn't make the most of any forays into the attacking third.

Lacking the same punch they possessed on their finals run last season, they'd eventually succumb to the 1-0 defeat.

"It was two battling and sometimes you just have to battle through and you get a result through not a great performance," Beedie said.

"Neither time probably could say we deserved to win it. A draw would have been a fair result. There weren't many chances either end."

Beedie welcomed back Mitchell Scazzeriello from injury for the match and handed Doug Woodiwiss his first start in a Zebras jersey.

Star striker Nuno Pires remained on the sidelines with a four-game suspension, while Tarrawanna were without impressive winger Darren Stone (injury).

The loss sees the Blueys slide to 10th on the ladder.

"It wasn't our day today, they took their chance," Tarrawanna coach Luke McGuire said.

"We will just keep working hard."

In Sunday's other game, Dapto Dandaloo were taken to the wire by bottom-placed Fernhill at Dandaloo Sports Ground.

The Foxes opened with Tobin Zoomers but were eventually chased down by the Fury to go down 2-1.


Discuss "Port Kembla prevail over Tarrawanna to halt slide"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.