Controversial unionist and whistleblower Kathy Jackson’s Wombarra home has been damaged by a fire that is being treated as suspicious.
Fire crews were called to a house around 10.30am.
The fire began in a wheelie bin located close to the house.
A relative of Ms Jackson’s husband happened to be visiting the property and mostly extinguished the blaze using a garden hose before firefighters arrived.
Scarborough Fire Station Captain Les Choice said the bin had completely melted and the fire had spread to the house by the time fire crews arrived.
‘‘The fire was confined to one room, but there is smoke and water damage to 40 per cent of the house,’’ he said.
Wollongong police duty officer Acting Inspector Dan Richardson said the blaze was being treated as suspicious ‘‘based on information given to us by the occupants of the house’’.
The Mercury understands the bin or bins were in a different location to where the home’s occupants had left them.
No-one was home when the fire began.
Ms Jackson, who blew the whistle on corruption in the Health Services Union, attended soon afterwards.
The investigation is continuing.