Hoyts Cinemas will send a damage bill of up to $100,000 to a man accused of tripping a fire alarm at its Warrawong theatre on Monday night, causing significant flooding.
Sani Primorac, 46, was in the midst of a five-year ban from Warrawong Plaza when he arrived at the centre’s cinema about 7.40pm, and disappeared into its unisex foyer restroom.
Police will allege he held a cigarette lighter to a ceiling-mounted sprinkler, setting off a fire alarm and causing multiple sprinkler heads to spew a large volume of water onto the foyer floor.
He allegedly emerged moments later completely drenched in water, before making his way to the candy bar, where he used the cinema’s telephone to dial triple-zero.
He was still at the phone, speaking to the operator, when firefighters and police arrived about 7.55pm.
Cinema-goers were evacuated before Primorac was arrested and charged with destroying property and entering enclosed lands.
In court on Tuesday Primorac, of Silverwater, repeatedly interjected as his lawyer attempted to make a case for his bail.
“I was having a cigarette in the toilet and I apologise for that,” he told the magistrate, who he took to calling “chief”.
When told the cinema would seek damages of $50-100,000, he cut in again.
“It’s a bit of carpet,” he said.
The court heard Primorac had a history of not complying with court orders and his mental health would likely factor into his case.
He appeared to abort his bid for bail in court on Tuesday.
“Please sentence me to a month’s jail. I’m not lying to myself anymore,” he said.
Bail was ultimately refused. The matter was adjourned, to allow for the preparation of mental health reports.
The cinema is expected to produce an invoice for the damage at a later date.