Construction of Wollongong’s Parq on Flinders development appears set to begin “almost immediately”, with a builder now confirmed.
The proposal for 221 apartments and a number of commercial sites was approved in late 2016 for the triangular site between Keira, Flinders and Campbell streets.
However, buyers had been left waiting for a construction commencement date.
Parq on Flinders will have four separate residential towers of seven and eight storeys.
Managing agents Colliers International and developers BRDB have confirmed Hutchinson Builders as the builders for the Parq project.
Colliers managing director Simon Kersten said there had been some technicalities before the contract was finalised, but said construction was now expected to start “almost immediately”.
Mr Kersten said Hutchinson had signed a two-year construction contract, although the completion period would be subject to conditions such as weather.
Mr Kersten said nearly 140 of the apartments had sold.
The Mercury reported last year that full-blown construction of Parq on Flinders was scheduled to begin in early 2018.
Earlier this year, Mr Kersten said there had been no concerns regarding buyers potentially reneging on contracts due to the delays.
He said the contracts were clear about the timeline for construction, and all “sunset clauses” had been met.
Speaking to the Mercury on Monday, Mr Kersten said the current construction plan “puts us well ahead of the end of the contract period for the buyers who have already bought”.
“The buyers who have already bought, their contracts say it must be built by July 2021,” he said. “At this stage we’re looking at the end of 2020 (for completion), so we’re well ahead of that.”
For several years, the huge development site was arguably Wollongong’s most controversial block of land.
It was once flagged for the corruption-laden ‘Quattro’ development.
Mr Kersten said they planned to host an event on-site within the next few weeks to provide more information to buyers.