The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning for parts of the Illawarra.
At 4.30pm, the BoM advised that squally showers or thunderstorms were likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in the Illawarra, as well as the South Coast and Southern Tablelands.
The next warning is due to be issued by 7.35pm.
More details on the warning can be found here.
The SES advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.