A 'Bondi-Beach-like' horde of people is not what Kiama needs as regional travel restrictions ease next month, said local MP Gareth Ward.
From June 1, people will be able to travel to regional areas like Kiama for any reason.
Mr Ward said this was a very big deal for people in his electorate, given the high number of jobs that are directly and indirectly linked to tourism.
Many of those business had already been feeling the pinch due to the summer bushfires before the COVID-19 shutdowns.
"As things slowly return to normal we're keen for people to come and visit from the first of June," Mr Ward said.
"We want people to come and spend up big because if people don't, then we run the risk of losing a lot of these small businesses. If people don't support them during the tough times they won't be there in the good times."
But Mr Ward reminded potential visitors that the standard social distancing measures remained in effect and people needed to abide by those rules as they headed out from June 1.
If they didn't, and congregated in large numbers and ignored social distancing guidelines like hundreds did at Bondi Beach just over a month ago, towns could be closed down again.
"You only need to look at what happened at Bondi in March to see that, in spite of the warnings, people can very easily slip into a psyche that prompts the government to act," Mr Ward said.
"That was one of the things that triggered the biggest restrictions. If this does break out again, if there is a second wave, the government will consider increasing restrictions again.
"We don't want to that - our preferred option is that people follow the medical advice and continue to physically distance themselves."