An Appin cow is expected to make a full recovery after getting its head stuck in a plastic patio chair.
RSPCA NSW inspectors were called to a property where they found a female cow imprisoned in a plastic chair on Thursday.
Inspectors said the chair was inhibiting the cow from eating and drinking.
The cow was tranquilised before inspectors removed the furniture from around her neck.
Inspector Aaron Purcell said it is not known how the cow came to be in the situation.
‘‘But left unattended she would have become severely dehydrated,’’ Mr Purcell said.
‘‘Other members of the herd were also visibly distressed by the cow’s predicament with several of them trying to remove the chair with their noses.’’
This is the second incident in which RSPCA NSW inspectors were required to remove an item from the head of a cow.
Inspectors had to free a cow from a fibreglass toilet on a property in Bringelly in June.
“We’d like to take this opportunity to remind residents on, or near rural properties, to take care with the disposal of household items as they can become hazardous to livestock and pets,” Mr Purcell said.
The cow is expected to make a full recovery.