Berkeley woman convicted for ambos attack

Ambo assault accused: conviction annulled

A drunken, drug-affected Berkeley woman fell three metres from a window then lashed out at paramedics who tried to treat her, punching and kicking one in the head, Wollongong Local Court has heard.

Police allege Amanda Marasovic was in a drunken, marijuana-induced rage when she attacked two paramedics called to a West Wollongong address to treat her.

Emergency services were sent to the Poulter Street home about 11.47pm on December 21 following reports a woman was bleeding heavily and needed assistance.

According to facts tendered to court, the paramedics arrived to discover Marasovic had fallen three metres from a window at the front of the house and was covered with lacerations and abrasions.

When they tried to treat the 24-year-old in the back of the ambulance she allegedly punched wildly at the paramedics, hitting one of them in the neck.

She continued to "lash out violently, kicking her legs in the air and swinging punches at the persons attempting to help her", the fact sheet said.

The paramedics were trying to restrain her on the stretcher when she allegedly kicked one of them in the face.

They eventually restrained her with the help of police and took her to Wollongong Hospital for treatment.

Marasovic had allegedly consumed alcohol, a "hash biscuit" and smoked marijuana that evening.

"The accused was well affected by these substances," the fact sheet noted.

Ambulance Service of NSW district inspector Norm Rees said the case was just one in a rising number of assaults against paramedics.

"Statistics indicate more and more assaults are happening on paramedics and no matter how many times we [advise people not to touch us]," Mr Rees said.

"Nobody goes to work to be assaulted and we're getting it as we're trying to help other people.

"They call us for help and then we turn up and they assault us for one reason or another ... it's just not on."

Yesterday Marasovic failed to appear at Wollongong Local Court to face one charge of common assault.

Magistrate Geraldine Beattie found the offence proven on the facts tendered and convicted Marasovic in her absence.

Mr Rees said it was "disappointing" the offender did not attend.

He said the ambulance service wanted to ensure assaults against paramedics were taken seriously by the courts.

The matter was adjourned until March 4 for sentencing.