Wollongong refugee attack: how they were busted | new video

Nabbed: CCTV footage of Jaimee Lee Haynes reporting for bail.

Brazen, ignorant or just plain clueless?

Police nabbed Timothy Phillip Williams and Jaimee Lee Haynes the day after they savagely beat and robbed a newly arrived Eritrean refugee.


Williams and Haynes went to the police station themselves.

Exactly 31 days after leaving jail on parole for a 2008 offence of recklessly causing grievous bodily harm in company, Williams bashed the African refugee outside Wollongong railway station, robbing him of jewellery, sunglasses and cash while his partner, Haynes, acted as a lookout.

A still from CCTV footage of the attack.

A still from CCTV footage of the attack.

The judgment in Williams’ case, handed down Thursday by  Judge Paul Conlon, detailed the brazen backstory behind the bashing and their arrest.

Williams and Haynes had reported to Wollongong police station as part of Haynes’ bail conditions just half an hour before the attack.

Haynes was, at the time, on bail for ‘‘a variety of offences including being armed with intent to commit an indictable offence and common assault,’’ according to the judgment.  

CCTV was the tool that skewered the pair, showing them walking into the police station at 7.17pm and then arriving at 7.52pm at the Crown Street walkway that leads to the railway station, where they waited for a potential victim to present themselves.

The victim, possessing little English and having only arrived in Australia five days earlier after spending time in an Ethiopian refugee camp, was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

CCTV footage shows the brutal attack in all its ferocity, Williams savagely punching the victim in the head, placing him in a stranglehold headlock, then throwing him against the walls of nearby buildings.

The pair robbed the man of his valuables and scuttled off as the distraught refugee desperately fled. 

Haynes nonchalantly stuck a cigarette in her mouth and puffed away as the pair picked up some of the victim’s dropped belongings.

The next day, Haynes and Williams again reported to Wollongong police station as part of Hayne’s bail conditions, not realising police were looking for them.

Both were arrested on the spot.

If you are using our iPhone app, you can view footage in the video tab.



Discuss "Wollongong refugee attack: how they were busted | new video"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.