- PICTURES, VIDEO, LATEST UPDATES: Rescues, flooding as rain hits Illawarra hard
RMS road closures
In the Illawarra:
- The Princes Highway is closed in both directions at Albion Park due to flooding at Station Road. Southbound traffic is queued for around ten kilometres. Northbound traffic is queued for around five kilometres.
- The Illawarra Highway is closed in both directions between the Princes Highway and Tongarra Road at Albion Park.
- Tongarra Road is closed in both directions between the Princes Highway and Terry Street at Albion Park.
- The Illawarra Highway is closed in both directions between Broughton Avenue at Albion Park, and Jamberoo Mountain Road at Robertson.
- New Lake Entrance Road is closed eastbound at Minga Avenue at Oak Flats. Two of three westbound lanes are also closed.
- Northcliffe Drive is closed in both directions at Lake Heights due to flooding near Buena Vista Avenue.
OAK FLATS: All lanes open on New Lake Entrance Rd at Minga Ave as flooding has eased. Slow down & take care. There's still water on the road— Live Traffic NSW (@LiveTrafficNSW) March 16, 2017
In the Shoalhaven:
- The Princes Highway is closed in both directions at Yatte Yattah north of Milton, due to flooding near Little Forest Road.
- Only one lane is open on the Princes Highway at Burrilll Lake due to flooding at Wallaroy Drive. Stop/slow traffic control is in place.
In the Southern Highlands:
- Moss Vale Road is closed in both directions at Beavan Place in Bowral.
- Buses are replacing trains between Wollongong and Port Kembla due to flooding at Port Kembla.
- Trains are not running between Dapto and Shellharbour Junction due to flooding at Oal Flats. Replacement buses are being organised but are not yet on site. They will not be able to reach Albion Park station due to flooded roads. Buses will travel via Warilla instead.
KEMBLA GRANGE: 1 of 3 southbound lanes on Princes Hwy closed near Northcliffe Dr due to a car crash. Heavy traffic in the area.— Live Traffic NSW (@LiveTrafficNSW) March 16, 2017
Local roads affected by flooding
A number of roads across the Wollongong area are currently being affected by flooding.
Below is a list of affected roads. Remember, you should never drive, ride or walk through floodwater.
For emergency assistance during floods, call the SES on 132 500
List updated 5.30pm, Thursday 16 March 2017:
- Carters Lane/Pioneer Road, Towradgi
- Swan Street, Wollongong
- Springhill Road (RMS controlled road)
- Northcliffe Drive, Berkeley, opposite yacht club.
Please note, further roads may close without notice as conditions change.
No trains are running between Dapto and Shellharbour Junction due to flooding at Oak Flats. Replacement buses are being organised but are not yet on site. Due to flooding, these buses will not be able to reach Albion Park Station and will travel via Warilla instead.
Buses are replacing trains between Wollongong and Port Kembla on the South Coast Line due to flooding at Port Kembla. Passengers are advised to allow additional travel time and listen to announcements.