Nowra man refused bail accused of raping 10-year-old boy

A 58-year-old Nowra man has been refused bail after being charged with historic sexual assault of a young boy in Sydney.

Trevor Dale was arrested at his Nowra home on Wednesday and charged with buggery and three counts of indecent assault of a male.

The offences are alleged to have occurred in Sydney in late 1979 and early 1980 when Dale was aged 20.

His alleged victim was just 10 at the time.

Court papers said the first alleged offence happened on December 29, 1979 when the man had gone to the victim’s home with his parents.

While playing in the backyard with the boy it is alleged Dale fondled him and later forced him the boy to perform oral sex on him, which “caused the youth to dry retch”, police said.

Court papers said the victim was told not to tell his parents or he “would get into trouble.”

It is alleged a second offence happened about a week later when the boy was again forced to perform oral sex on Dale.

The assaults allegedly escalated on the third occasion to include anal rape.

Police alleged Dale covered the boy’s mouth to stifle the his screams of pain.

The victim reported the allegations to police in August 2017.

The court heard police secretly recorded telephone calls between the alleged victim and Dale in April this year were Dale allegedly made admissions regarding the incidents.

In one conversation he allegedly stated he was hoping the contact wasn’t “Hi how are you? It’s been 30 years since you molested me.”

Over two phone calls they allegedly spoke about the sexual assault with Dale describing it “as a bit of fun” and how the victim’s father “would have kicked his ass if he had found out.”

“But you were just a child, you had no idea about your sexualituy” Dale allegedly said during the conversation.

The court heard during an interview with police Dale said he thought the boy was “about 16” at the time.

He admitted “getting naked” with the boy one night and the pair masturbating each other.

When it was suggested the boy was only 10-12 at the time Dale told police that made sense as he [the boy] couldn't get an erection.

Dale denied having penetration with the boy.

In court on Wednesday police opposed bail saying Dale had a previous conviction for a child sex offence in the 1980s as well as matters of violence and breaching an apprehended violence order on his record.

Prosecutor Sergeant Marion Berriman said Dale had told police he “wouldn't attend court if released.”

However, defence solicitor Simone Fogo said Dale had a number of serious medical conditions for which he was taking prescribed medication.

Registrar Craig Cockburn refused bail due to the strong likelihood of a custodial sentence if convicted and the strength of the prosecution case.

At the decision Dale sat sobbing in the dock, pleading to be released saying he “just wanted to go home”.

He will reappear in court on April 13.