Roads and Maritime Services does not appear to have any plans to upgrade a section of Picton Road that has seen three fatalities in 18 months.
The stretch of the road just east of the MacArthur Drive intersection was last upgraded seven years ago.
But an RMS spokesman said the millions of dollars already spent on Picton Road had substantially reduced the number of head-on crashes.
At 3.40am on Wednesday a 39-year-old man died when his Mitsubushi Canter collided with a car carrier.
In March 2017 two drivers died in a head-on collision not far from the location of Wednesday’s tragedy.
On Thursday morning a 32-year-old man hit a jersey barrier in the same vicinity.
He was trapped in his car for some time before being freed by emergency services.
Suffering chest and knee injuries he was taken by ambulance to Campbelltown Hospital in a stable condition.
RMS carried out work east of MacArthur Drive in 2011.
READ MORE: Grief-stricken family speak out
That work included the installation of a concrete median, road and shoulder widening, drainage improvements as well as increasing roadside clear zones and sight distance along the road.
An RMS spokesman declined to respond to a question as to whether the crash location had been earmarked for further upgrades.
The spokesman said more than $60 million had been spent on safety improvements along the road since 2010, which has led to a 25 per cent drop in crashes and the incidence of head-ons falling by 80 per cent.
Work carried out included road realignment, accelerating lanes and a 500-metre concrete median and traffic lights.
There has been public calls for jersey barriers along Picton Road between the M1 and the Hume Motorway.
RMS has previously said this was possible in some areas along Picton Road.
However other areas would require more extensive work as the placement of the barrier would take up lane space, forcing more significant alterations of the road.