Windang surf-pop duo Hockey Dad have returned home after a "whirlwind" 12 months for some much needed surf-time, song-writing and the upcoming Farmer and the Owl festival.
Best mates since primary school, Billy Fleming and Zach Stephenson have been back and forth travelling the globe and winning hearts after their second album Blend Inn gained much acclaim.
The highlight for 2018 was playing the much coveted Enmore Theatre in Sydney - twice.
"It was a venue we’ve always grown up going to and been like ‘that would be insane to play one day’ - to do that by ourselves was pretty wild," Fleming said.
"I think that whole tour was pretty wild," Stephenson added.
They've also scored their first festival headline spot at the inaugural Farmer and the Owl festival at Wollongong's MacCabe Park on March 2 - which makes the "a little scared but heaps excited".
The duo are signed to the record label who's producing the festival, and had the chance to choose their favourite bands for the lineup.
"The first lineup we were just picking our favourite bands and being like 'can we get them?', and yeah we got most of them in," Fleming said.
The pair - along with other label mates - sat down and picked their top acts, with the hard work of acquiring those musicians left to Ben Tillman and Jeb Taylor.
Meanwhile, Hockey Dad have joined the fight against changes to festival licencing which could see new regulations force established festivals to cease because of costly safety measures.
"It seems to be a bit of an agenda from one end of things," Fleming said. "It’s pretty gnarly, because festivals are such the backbone of Australian music so you don't want to see that go down."
He believed there was enough public outrage to enact change, while Stephenson added it would be detrimental to so many people's lives.
"Not only is it ruining music, it’s taking peoples jobs because peoples lives - like our label friends and us - really depend on festivals," he said.
On the cards for 2019 include more touring, including conquering the UK's Reading Festival, plus writing and recording their third album.
In the immediate future they're happy to "chill" and catch some waves or go for a skate.
Tickets for Farmer and the Owl are still on sale through www.moshtix.com.au
FARMER & THE OWL FULL LINEUP:
- Beach House|| Hockey Dad || Deafheaven || Snail Mail || J Mascis
- Joyce Manor || The Garden|| Kirin J Callinan ||Rhye || Alan Braxe
- No Mono|| Flint Eastwood||Stella Donnelly
- The Aints! ||Amyl & The Sniffers || Gavin Rayna Russom || Fascinator
- A Place To Bury Strangers || Foxing Banoffee || RVG || These New South Whales
- Shining Bird|| Retiree ||The Pinheads || TOTTY
- Party Dozen || Flyying Colours || Clea || Milan Ring
- Totally Unicorn || Sweater Curse || TEES || Lucianblomkamp
- Tropical Strength ||Mother & Son || Carla Geneve || New War
- Ella Thompson || RAT!hammock ||Planète
- Wax Chattels || Sunscreen || Lucy Cliche || Godtet
- Jacob || After Touch || Spit Chewy || Droves || Obseen
- Jon Watts || Velvet Elevator || Enfant Terrible
- Lyre Byrdland || Dream Dog || Luke Spook || Chelsey Dagger
- E4444E || Honeybear || Sultans of Spin || Catman