Planning work to reduce the incidence of head-on collisions along a stretch of Picton Road is under way.
While an extensive series of roadworks - including realignment and new stretches of road - was undertaken from 2011-13 the road has still been the site of several fatal head-on crashes.
In March 2014, two truck drivers died in a fiery collision on a bend with one lane in each direction.
The accident involved a B-Double and a car carrier - the B-Double jack-knifed across both lanes and the driver was thrown from the vehicle.
In November last year a car carrier and a table-top truck collided.
The cab of the table-top truck was crushed in the collision and the 39-year-old male driver died at the scene.
READ MORE: State election - where you can vote early
The work in the planning stages by Roads and Maritime Services is focusing on a location south of the site of these crashes near the Macarthur Drive intersection.
"Roads and Maritime Services is planning improvements for Picton Road which include installing 600 metres of median safety barrier, about 7.5 kilometres south of Macarthur Drive," a Roads and Maritime Services spokeswoman said.
"The project is estimated to cost $654,000 and will be funded under the Safer Roads program.
"It is currently in development and discussions are under way to determine the final scope of this work, which is due to start by mid-2019.
"Roads and Maritime will update the community closer to the start of work."
The section where the safety barriers will be installed is on a curve where there is an overtaking lane heading west.
Meanwhile, Labor has confirmed it will double its funding for Appin Road to $100 million if it wins the March 23 election.
Keira MP Ryan Park said the funding would come from the State Government rather than relying on developer contributions to fund the upgrades.
"This funding will safe lives - make no mistake about that," Mr Park said.