Man threatens ex-partner with sword: court

Australia Day festivities turned sour for a Wollongong father when he threatened his ex-partner with a Japanese sword and tried to bind her legs with cable ties, a court has heard.

Blagoja Bill Georgeivski was allegedly high on a cocktail of ice and booze when he grabbed the ornamental weapon and threatened to kill his former girlfriend, Wollongong Local Court heard.

Police claim the 34-year-old then pushed the woman onto a bed, grabbed some cable ties and tried to tie her legs together, while she screamed and attempted to kick him off.

Opposing Georgeivski’s bid for bail yesterday, prosecutor Sergeant Mark Rollestone said the woman needed to be protected.

‘‘Any matter where an accused allegedly pulls a sword and makes threats to kill is of grave concern,’’ Sgt Rollestone said.

Georgeivski was allegedly drinking alcohol and smoking ice while entertaining guests at a barbecue at his home last Saturday.

His ex-partner was lying in bed around 8.30pm when Georgeivski ran into her room, screaming.

The pair started arguing and Georgeivski pushed the woman’s face, forcing her on to the bed, before he started swinging punches at her head.

One punch allegedly landed on her eye with such force that it pushed her across the bed.

Georgeivski then pulled out the sword and threatened to kill the woman, police said.

He eventually left the room but allegedly warned his former partner he would ‘‘slit her throat and kill her’’ if she contacted police.

The woman reported the incident on Wednesday as she feared for her safety.

Georgeivski yesterday pleaded not guilty to common assault, intimidation and possessing an instrument with intent to injure.

Sgt Rollestone conceded Georgeivski did not have a violent record but said the allegations were serious.

Defence solicitor Aaron Kernaghan told the court Georgeivski denied the incident, including the use of the sword and taking illicit drugs, claiming they would interfere with his pain medication.

Mr Kernaghan said the sword belonged to the woman who had since moved interstate.

The court heard Georgeivski could live in Leumeah with a friend and would report to police.

Magistrate Michael Stoddart granted strict conditional bail.

He adjourned the matter to March 21.