Kiesha's stepfather burned, buried her body, court told

Buried in a shallow grave ... six-year-old Kiesha Abrahams.
Buried in a shallow grave ... six-year-old Kiesha Abrahams.

The stepfather of six-year-old Kiesha Weippart failed to call an ambulance while she lay unconscious from a blow to the head, and later burned and buried her body in a bid to hide her death, a court has heard.

Robert Smith, 31, has pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of the girl on the grounds of negligence and to being an accessory after the fact of murder. Kiesha died on July 13, 2010 in a Mount Druitt home.

Another person is awaiting trial for murder and cannot be named.

The NSW Supreme Court heard on Friday that there is still some doubt over the exact cause of Keisha's death, but a postmortem revealed she had recently sustained a violent blow to the head along with other injuries, suggesting a history of abuse.

Crown prosecutor Keith Alder told the court that Smith was guilty of "gross and extreme negligence".

He was aware that the little girl was in a "comatose state", but failed to call an ambulance or any other authority. He allegedly made some attempt to revive the six-year-old, but when this failed, he went to bed and left for work the next morning.

"The offender knew that she was in a significantly ill condition," Mr Alder said.

"When he left for work he had ample opportunity to summon assistance. He knew that she was ill, but was still breathing and yet he did nothing.

"When he returned home from work the child was dead."

Justice Megan Latham heard that Smith then had a "primary role" in covering up the crime.

Smith placed the child's body in a suitcase, where it remained for a week before he called a taxi to a different address. From there, he took the child's body to parkland in the nearby suburb of Shalvey, doused her with petrol and set her alight.

He then put her remains in a shallow grave, placing a discarded pouch above it in an attempt to throw off police.

"These actions were all carefully calculated to hide these crimes from the authorities," Mr Alder said.

"We would submit that his liability as an accessory is of the most serious kind."

Smith's barrister, Mark Austin, told the court that his client had been the victim of violence and abuse and was in fear of what might happen to him if he contacted police.

The hearing continues.

This story Kiesha's stepfather burned, buried her body, court told first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.