A year after being named runner up for the title Lauren Buhagiar has been named Illawarra Business Woman of the Year at the 2019 Illawarra Women in Business Awards.
During the last decade Ms Buhagiar, of Active Property Conveyancing, has grown her business from a one person operation to a team of 9.
After completing her degree at Macquarie University she came back home and worked in conveyancing with two law firms before starting her own business specialising in the field.
The former Saint Mary's Star of the Sea student owes her business success and the rapid ongoing growth to the personalised service approach she adopted from the very start, the great relationship she has developed with her team and giving referers to her business service as well.
She said working in such a great team environment also allowed her to be able to do school drop-offs and pick-ups with her two young children Emily and Liam.
Her husband Matthew Clark, owns RAMS Home Loans Wollongong and was recently crowned RAMS Franchisee of the Year for the fifth time.
In 2017 Active Property Conveyancing was a national finalist in the Optus My Business Awards for property business of the year.
Ms Buhagiar was also one of only a few women in Australia awarded a prestigious Advanced Leadership Program Scholarship by Women and Leadership Australia.
It was part of a national initiative dedicated to supporting higher representation of female leadership in Australia's workforce and the broader community.
Illawarra Women in Business Award winners:
- Business Woman of Year winner Lauren Buhagiar of Active Property Conveyancing, Highly Commended Amy Harper of Kells
- Young Business Woman of Year winner Marie Russo of Zig Zag Hub
- Best Business winner Foye Legal
- Best Small Business winner Birdblack Design, HC Lotus Wellbeing Centre
- Best Home Based Business winner Jodie Cooper Pty Ltd, HC Busy Business Women
- Best New Business winner Dr Olga Lavelle & Associates, HC Future Steps for Kids
- Innovative Business Wowan winner Suzanne Haddon of RooCreate, HC Natalie McLean of RMS
- Customer Focus winner Kylie Moffit of Physiohealth & Sports Injury Clinic, HC Yvonne Walker/HR With Ease and Karen Meiring de Gonzalez/Skin Correctives
- Outstanding Commitment to Community winner Nicole Bowman of Dress for Success, HC Karen Meiring de Gonzalez
- Champion Networker winner Karen Meiring de Gonzalez.