A Barrack Heights man who verbally and physically terrorised two consecutive girlfriends, one of whom was pregnant with his child, will face court next month for sentencing on a host of domestic-violence related charges.
Steven Woods repeatedly threatened to kill both women in a series of disturbing, often ranting text messages sent to them in quick succession.
When one of the women dared to report Woods to police for assaulting her, he sent her more text messages demanding she retract her statement to the officer in charge or she'd have a "19-month court fight" on her hands.
Documents tendered to Wollongong Local Court this week said Woods and his first victim had been in an on/off relationship for about three years when Woods flew into a fit of rage one day in December 2017 after the woman went out to lunch with friends.
In the ensuing argument, he broke her phone, spat in her face, squeezed her throat and threw two water bottles at her.
He then kicked her in the arm and pushed her against the railing of a first-floor staircase while telling her "I wont be leaving here until I've really hurt you".
The woman managed to flee the house and went to stay with a friend in Sydney for a few days.
However, the pair rekindled their relationship and were driving to a friend's house on January 5, 2018 when the woman was flagged down for a police random breath test near Warrawong.
She passed the test and resumed driving, only for Woods to blow up minutes later when they had stopped in a carpark.
"I've got shit on me," he told her, prompting the woman to reply "how was I meant to know?"
Woods then punched her in the jaw and held her head against the driver's side window. She kicked him out of the car and drove off.
Meanwhile, Woods sent the woman a series of threatening text messages the following month, including telling her "I don't want you alive", "I have to attack you over this" and "I'll cut your face off...you just wait".
When the woman made a report to police in April about Woods assaulting her, he demanded she retract her statement.
"2moz (sic) morning if there is not a statement in place saying I have never hit you and the date and time not different, 19 months court fight," he told her in one text message.
In another, he sought to manipulate her feelings for him: "you won't write text, you won't see lady and change statement in time, we will never speak again. It will sink in when they call you and tell you I'm in and didn't appear for bail".
The victim subsequently delivered a signed letter to Lake Illawarra Police Station at Woods' request claiming she'd lied about the assault in her initial statement.
She sent him a message confirming the letter had been delivered and signed off the text with "I'm sorry Steve, I love you".
The relationship between the pair ended in June 2018, a month after Woods had allegedly begun seeing another woman.
Court documents said Woods soon turned his violent ways to his new girlfriend, accusing her of seeing other men as early as November 2018, despite the fact she was pregnant with his child.
His jealousy and paranoia continued to grow over the following months, prompting him to bombard her with abusive and threatening phone calls and text messages.
At times he demanded to know if she was with other males, while on other occasions he threatened the safety of herself and her family and said she would need to go into "witness protection" if he ended up in jail.
"If you cheat on me you can't keep your family safe.... if you put me in jail, you can't keep your family safe," he told her.
The woman eventually reported the threats to police in May 2019.
Woods, who was already in custody on an unrelated matter, was charged in August.
He remains behind bars and will face court in September for a sentencing date to be set.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.