It may be 12 months before we know exactly what will happen to Target stores on the South Coast but Myer is set to reopen in Shellharbour on Wednesday.
The Kmart Group is considering converting suitable Target and Target Country stores to Kmart stores and is looking at the possible closure of between 10 to 25 large format Target stores and 50 small format Target Country stores.
The retail union said there was not a firm list of which stores would close but they would be watching closely ahead of the moves, which could start from July.
Shellharbour has both a Target and a Kmart, while Warrawong's Kmart closed in 2012 and reopened as a Target.
The closest Kmart to the Wollongong Target store is located at Figtree Plaza.
At this stage none of the Illawarra stores appear on any list for closure or conversion.
But the Target website has Nowra and Merimbula on a list of stores closing in early to mid 2021.
And Bega, Bowral, Picton and Ulladulla on a list of stores being converted to Kmart stores in 2021.
Between Wollongong and the Victorian border there are around 200 people employed at Target and Target Country stores and SDA NSW secretary Bernie Smith said the union won't just be watching what happens from the sideline.
"Our priority is to make sure everyone who is currently working continues to have ongoing sustainable employment," he said.
"It will be the first quarter next year when they start working through which stores will stay open and convert and which stores might close."
Mr Smith said Wesfarmers indicated a large range of stores will be affected including the conversion of 10 to 40 Target stores to Kmart.
"It is obviously quite dependent on discussions with landlords and other matters".
Mr Smith said it was quite a broad statement made by Wesfarmers on Friday and at present there is no list of which stores are converting or closing. Decisions about that might change between now and early 2021.
"If we look at what happened with BIG W there was a list but it was variable and the number of stores BIG W was considering closing reduced over time," he said.
"They have only closed three stores so far. Our real priority is that everyone who is currently employed will have ongoing employment at the end of this process."
Ms Smith said the union will be actively making sure staff are redeployed if their store closes. SDA is the union for retail, fast food and warehouse workers.
A Stockland spokesperson said the company had a long-standing relationship with Target and Kmart and both stores are an important part of the retail mix at many centres such as Stockland Shellharbour.
"We are in discussions with Wesfarmers and will continue to work closely with them."
Stockland Shellharbour centre manager Daniel Buchanan said the shopping centre had seen increased patronage this week as customers start to return with the gradual easing of COVID-19 restrictions.
"We've seen many of our retailers re-open their doors, with nearly 80 per cent of the centre now open for trade. This includes many of our food and apparel retailers, and we're excited to see Myer re-open next Wednesday."
Present Target website list of stores closing:
- ARMIDALE NSW early-mid 2021
- ATHERTON QLD early 2021
- BACCHUS MARSH VIC early-mid 2021
- BAIRNSDALE VIC early-mid 2021
- BEAUDESERT QLD early-mid 2021
- BENALLA VIC mid 2021
- BILOELA QLD early 2021
- BUSSELTON WA early 2021
- CAMPBELLTOWN NSW Jul 2020
- CASINO RETAIL CENTRE NSW early-mid 2021
- CLARE SA early-mid 2021
- CLIFTON BEACH QLD early-mid 2021
- COLAC VIC early-mid 2021
- COOMA NSW early-mid 2021
- COOTAMUNDRA NSW early-mid 2021
- COROWA NSW early-mid 2021
- DENILIQUIN NSW early-mid 2021
- DEVONPORT TAS early-mid 2021
- EMERALD QLD early-mid 2021
- FORBES NSW early-mid 2021
- GOONELLABAH NSW early 2021
- KARRATHA WA early-mid 2021
- KERANG VIC early-mid 2021
- KIPPA RING QLD early 2021
- KUNUNURRA WA early-mid 2021
- LANGWARRIN VIC early-mid 2021
- LEETON NSW early 2021
- LONGREACH QLD early-mid 2021
- MANJIMUP WA early-mid 2021
- MARGARET RIVER WA early-mid 2021
- MARYBOROUGH VIC early-mid 2021
- MEADOW SPRINGS WA Aug 2020
- MERIMBULA NSW early-mid 2021
- MERREDIN WA early-mid 2021
- MILLICENT SA early 2021
- MORANBAH QLD early-mid 2021
- MORISSET NSW early-mid 2021
- MURGON NSW early-mid 2021
- MURWILLUMBAH QLD early 2021
- MYRTLEFORD VIC early-mid 2021
- NARACOORTE SA early-mid 2021
- NARRABRI NSW early-mid 2021
- NARROGIN WA early-mid 2021
- NOWRA NSW early-mid 2021
- PASADENA SA June 2020
- PORT LINCOLN SA early 2021
- SALAMANDER BAY NSW early-mid 2021
- SCONE NSW early-mid 2021
- TRARALGON VIC early-mid 2021
- WAGGA WAGGA NSW early-mid 2021
- WARRAGUL VIC early-mid 2021
- WESTON CREEK ACT early-mid 2021
- WINMALEE NSW early-mid 2021
*Lists will be updated as store and dates are confirmed.
Present Target website list of stores likely to be converted to Kmart:
- ARARAT VIC early-mid 2021
- AYR QLD early-mid 2021
- BEERWAH QLD early-mid 2021
- BEGA NSW early-mid 2021
- BERRI SA early 2021
- BOWE NQLD early 2021
- BOWRAL NSW early 2021
- CASTLEMAINE VIC Sep 2020
- CHARTERS TOWERS QLD early 2021
- CHINCHILLA QLD early 2021
- COBRAM VIC Jul 2020
- DALBY QLD early 2021
- ECHUCA VIC Jul 2020
- ESPERANCE WA early 2021
- GATTON QLD early 2021
- GERALDTON WA early-mid 2021
- GOONDIWINDI QLD early 2021
- GUNNEDAH NSW early 2021
- GYMPIE QLD early 2021
- HAMILTON VIC early 2021
- INGHAM QLD early 2021
- KATHERINE NT early 2021
- KATOOMBA NSW early 2021
- KYABRAM VIC Sep 2020
- LAKES ENTRANCE VIC early 2021
- LEONGATHA VIC early 2021
- MANSFIELD VIC early 2021
- MAREEBA QLD early 2021
- MOREE NSW early 2021
- MUDGEE NSW early 2021
- MURRAY BRIDGE SA early 2021
- NOOSA JUNCTION QLD early 2021
- NORTHAM WA early 2021
- OCEAN SHORES VILLAGE CTR NSW early 2021
- PICTON NSW early 2021
- PINJARRA WA early 2021
- PORT AUGUSTA SA early 2021
- PORT DOUGLAS QLD early 2021
- PORTLAND VIC early 2021
- ROMA QLD early 2021
- SARINA QLD early 2021
- SEYMOUR VIC Jul 2020
- STANTHORPE QLD early 2021
- TUMUT NSW early 2021
- ULLADULLA NSW early 2021
- VICTOR HARBOR SA early 2021
- WARWICK QLD early 2021
- WINDSOR TOWN S/C NSW early 2021
- WOODEND VIC Sep 2020
- YAMBA NSW early 2021
- YARRAWONGA VIC early 2021
- YASS NSW early 2021
- YEPPOON QLD early 2021
*Lists will be updated as store and dates are confirmed.
- Quick response from fire crews prevents car blaze at Harrigan Ford, Yallah destroying one of the Illawarra's largest car dealerships
- A Gerringong business that sources local organic produce for visitors to the region will keep evolving when they return
- Whales to stage a timely arrival as visitors are set to return to the South Coast from June 1
- Small businesses encouraged to investigate their eligibility for Service NSW grant funding before time runs out on June 1
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.