An announcement on the Illawarra Hawks future looms, with Matt Flinn expected to be welcomed back, under the new NBL ownership involving potential NBA star LaMelo Ball.
A deal involving Ball and Illawarra businessman Tory Lavalle is the remaining viable bid, following weeks of negotiations since the Hawks were placed into voluntary administration.
The Mercury understands having Flinn as coach, with a new role created for the Ball team to appoint someone from the US to oversee basketball operations, is the likely model.
Lavalle declined to comment when contacted by the Mercury on Monday, as negotiations with the NBL continue.
The Hawks plunged into administration and the company subsequently liquidated earlier this month, while $2.4 million in debt and with the players and staff $750,000 out of pocket at the end of Simon Stratford's time as owner.
However, the Mercury has learned the NBL created a new company, called Illawarra Basketball Club Pty Ltd on April 15, with league owner Larry Kestelman the sole director.
The NBL took over the license and the establishment of the new company allowed them to service the player entitlements and take over the intellectual property of the Hawks.
In a radio interview on Monday, NBL Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger said Ball remained firmly in their plans.
"We're very well progressed," Loeliger told ABC.
"(Ball's) team has expressed interest in an ownership stake in the license, regardless of who owned it going forward.
"They were never talking about owning the whole club.
"Whichever syndicate or individual ends up owning the club, I'm sure they will still have a conversation with LaMelo and his team, because I know there is strong interest there as well."
Ball came to Wollongong as part of the NBL's Next Stars program, where he played 12 games for the club, before controversially leaving in January after sustaining a foot injury.
Almost two months ago, the Mercury exclusively revealed Ball was leading the push to take on Hawks ownership, which prompted manager Jermaine Jackson to declare it was a "done deal" with American media giant ESPN.
The process has since been held up by the ongoing turmoil the Hawks have faced as the NBL hopes to have free agency open in July.