Shellharbour MP Anna Watson has spoken to Health Minister Brad Hazzard on Tuesday morning, requesting that her electorate not be subject to any possible extension of the current lockdown.
Ms Watson said she did not believe Shellharbour should have gone into lockdown in the first place, and with no cases, the restrictions should not continue.
She said Mr Hazzard advised her he would speak to chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant.
Wearing masks indoors should continue, Ms Watson said, and common sense should prevail, but there needed to be a better arrangement than lockdown.
She said the last-minute decision to include Shellharbour in the lockdown had caused unnecessary confusion for residents.
Meanwhile, Shellharbour mayor Marianne Saliba has written to Dr Chant, asking why the city was included in the lockdown.
Cr Saliba said the interconnectivity between Wollongong and Shellharbour was cited as the reason for the stay-at-home order, but under that reasoning, Kiama also should have been included.
She said the lockdown had had a "huge" impact on businesses and the community overall, and she could see no reason for it to continue.
Illawarra MPs are calling on the government to free the region from any potential lockdown extension, if the health advice permits.
Member for Kiama Gareth Ward said he planned to speak to Health Minister Brad Hazzard "imminently" about the issue.
His parliamentary colleagues, Keira MP Ryan Park and Wollongong MP Paul Scully, are in agreement.
Read more: Sydney reaches 'critical' lockdown phase
Premier Gladys Berejiklian has signalled a decision on lockdown - which is due to end 11.59pm on Friday - will be announced on Wednesday.
Mr Ward said that if the threshold test for putting an area into lockdown was community transmission or the risk of community transmission, the Illawarra had passed that test.
Subject to health advice, he said, it made sense the region should be removed from any further lockdown.
There have been six COVID-19 cases in the region in the past four weeks, all of whom have been linked to known cases and in isolation.
Mr Ward said they believed that those who worked in Sydney but lived in the Illawarra should remain subject to stay-at-home orders.
"I think that's a sensible position, and it's one we'd like the Health Minister to consider," he said.
Kiama is not subject to the stay-at-home order, but those who visit an area in lockdown
Mr Ward said half of Kiama's working residents travelled north for employment, and many shopped in Shellharbour or travelled to access services.
Mr Park said the COVID-19 situation could change very quickly, but he was hopeful the good work the community had put in in following restrictions had put the region in a good position.
"We certainly hope that the Illawarra can come out of the lockdown... But we obviously have to take into account the health experts, and the health advice coming in," he said.
Mr Scully told the Mercury earlier this week that there was a strong case for Wollongong, Shellharbour and certain parts of Sydney to be "viewed in a slightly different light".
He said on Tuesday that he was hopeful the case numbers over the next couple of days would be such that the lockdown could be removed in its entirety.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.