A teenager who was bashed with a metal scooter in an allegedly unprovoked attack at Albion Park has been placed on life support, with his mother telling well-wishers: “he needs a miracle, so please pray”.
Parents of the critically injured teen remained at his hospital bedside on Monday as another boy faced court, accused of the senseless attack.
Police say the boys, both aged 16, crossed paths in a laneway between Beveridge Street and Tongarra Road about 1.45pm Saturday, each accompanied by a friend.
The aggressor allegedly hit his victim to the head with the scooter before fleeing.
Police arrested him at a Warilla home about 9.15pm Sunday and refused him bail, citing his “extensive criminal history given his age”, including convictions for past violent offences.
He was charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and the assault of a second victim – the injured teen’s friend.
In their bail determination, police also cited concerns for the victims and their families.
“The young person is charged with a serious assault that was unprovoked,” police alleged. “The victim in this matter is currently in an induced coma and his prognosis is not positive.
“After the offence, the young person made threats towards [one of] the victims.
“Police … believe that the young person is a threat to the community if he is to be released on bail.”
The teen did not apply for bail and was this was formally refused at Campbelltown Children’s Court on Monday.
The injured teen’s parents issued a statement on Monday, thanking supporters and requesting privacy.
They described their son as a well-known and liked member of the Albion Park community, with strong links to the Uniting Church and local soccer club.
He remains in a critical but stable condition.
In posts to social media, the boy’s mother said doctors were closely monitoring his injury.
“Things are going by the hour,” she said, later adding that he had been placed in an induced coma and had part of his skull removed as part of efforts to relieve pressure on his brain.
She told supporters her son was supposed to have travelled to Lismore on Monday to assist the flood recovery effort.
“We don’t know if he will survive … for any of you [who] know him, he would give the shirt off his back … that is the young man he was becoming.”
Police have taken numerous statements in relation to the assault.
They allege the attacker and a 14-year-old boy also allegedly involved in the assault later made admissions to police.
The 14-year-old has not been charged but will be dealt with under the Young Offenders Act.
Under the Children (Criminal Proceedings) Act, neither the victims or the accused can be named.