Nick Kyrgios's Wimbledon campaign has lasted less than an hour after the shattered Australian retired from his first-round match against Frenchman Pierre-Hugues Herbert with a hip injury while down two sets to love.
Kyrgios conceded pre-tournament he was only "60, 65 per cent" fit after aggravating the longstanding injury during an on-court fall at the Queen's Club lead-up event a fortnight ago.
The writing was on the wall from the moment he stepped on to court on Monday, his forlorn body language and restricted movement depicting a player not equipped to go the distance.
And he didn't, calling it quits after 58 minutes when trailing 6-3 6-4.
The 22-year-old also retired from his third-round encounter at last year's US Open with a hip issue, leaving the world No.20 facing the difficult decision of whether or not to undergo surgery or continuing to battle on with the chronic injury.
Countryman Bernard Tomic bit the bullet and went under the knife for double hip surgery three years ago, but Kyrgios is reluctant to go down that path amid locker-room talk that an operation seems inevitable.
"Probably not at the moment. I got too much stuff going on," said Kyrgios, who is keen to play the American hardcourt season - including the US Open - before spearheading Australia's Davis Cup semi-final in September in Belgium.
"I don't think anyone wants to go down the surgery route," he said.
"I had it right after Paris. When I initially got on the grass, I wasn't feeling my hip at all.
"The first set (at Queen's) when I played against Donald Young, it was fine.
"I was playing great."
A quarter-finalist on debut at the All England Club in 2014 before bowing out in the fourth round the past two years, Kyrgios admitted doctors advised him not to play this week.
"It's my favourite tournament. I do well here every year. So it's tough for me to go out there and get beaten and pull out. It's not the easiest thing for me to do," he said
Kyrgios said he'd "probably get an MRI tomorrow" to determine the full extent of the damage, but conceded the prospect of surgery frightened him.
"I would do everything possible to avoid it," he said.
"But I don't know. I'm obviously a little bit scared. But I don't think I need it at the moment.
"Hopefully get an injection or something, do rehab, and get healthy.
"I can't really do anything. You know, it's just a bit unlucky what happened."
A Wimbledon quarter-finalist on debut in 2014, the world No.20's exit will also precipitate a further rankings fall after he had soared to a career-high 13th late last year and then opened 2017 with a blazing run on US hard courts.
Kyrgios will inevitably be asked why he even tried to play Herbert given he wasn't fit.
On paper, Herbert is more a doubles specialist, having won two grand slam titles with fellow Frenchman Nicolas Mahut - including Wimbledon last year.
But he's no singles mug either.
He's won nine matches on the hallowed grass courts over the past four years and showed from the outset he'd be no pushover.
Kyrgios laboured through the opening set, dropping serve in the eighth game with his second double-fault before the Frenchman took it after only 26 minutes with an easy love hold.
Australia's 20th seed continued to play hit-and-miss tennis in the second set and didn't even bother attempting to reach some of Herbert's winners.
He dropped serve for a second time when, facing break point, he was unable to move forward to retrieve a short return from the world No.70.
He hung his head in his towel at the changeover, then wiped away tears as he returned to the court.
The next changeover, when clearly resigned to his fate, Kyrgios whacked his racquet against the net post before again wallowing in his chair.
The crestfallen Canberran called for treatment after going two sets down before finally conceding defeat.
Barty's campaign over
Ashleigh Barty's hunt for a maiden main-draw Wimbledon win continues after Australia's former junior champion crashed out in the first round.
In a tough draw, Barty saved five match points before suffering a gallant 7-5 7-6 (10-8) loss to world No.5 Elina Svitolina on Monday.
The 21-year-old entered the tournament in fine form after reaching the final in Birmingham but let an opportunity slip after failing to serve out the opening set from 5-3 up.
Australia's Andrew Whittington also went down to Thiago Monteiro of Brazil.