Update: Jake Sara was granted bail about 12.15pm in Wollongong Local Court after earlier being sentenced to at least 11 months jail for a one-hit attack outside a Wollongong bar.
He will be required to report to police weekly in the lead-up to his severity appeal, to be heard in Wollongong District Court on March 2, 2018.
Earlier: A North Wollongong man who launched a damaging one-hit attack outside a Wollongong bar will spend at least 11 months behind bars.
Jake Sara was taken into custody a short time ago after being sentenced to one year, four months in jail with a non-parole period of 11 months.
CCTV footage showed 23-year-old Jake Sara launching himself at his victim, Ryan Gripton, outside Pepe’s on the Beach, the night of April 16.
The blow rendered Mr Gripton unconscious for about 10 minutes.
He later required nine staples to the left side of his head and underwent surgery to implant permanent metal stabilising components in his broken jaw.
Magistrate Cate Follent called the attack “vicious” and said the consequences for the victim had been “substantial”, upon sentencing Sara on Friday.
The magistrate accepted a "level of provocation" had preceded the attack, but noted there was a short break in between, in which Sara could have walked away.
Sara's lawyer immediately lodged a severity appeal on his behalf.
Outside court, family friend Aleisha Brooke-Smith welcomed the magistrate's decision.
"Justice has been served. The fact that he's going to jail for 11 months is a good outcome.
"Definitely a weight's lifted off our shoulders."
Ryan Gripton's mother, Michelle Gripton, said the assault had had a lasting impact and should serve as a cautionary tale.
"Don't punch anyone, it's not worth the risk, she said.
"My son will never be the same again, because of this.
"I'm happy with the sentence. I hope he [Sara] has a long time to think about what he's done."
Sara is expected to apply for release on bail, pending the outcome of his appeal, later on Friday.
MORE TO COME