The region's peak tourism body is copping some flack for a photo competition they're running, with some calling it "exploitation".
Destination Wollongong has put a call out for professional and amateur photographers to share their images via social media, with $1000 contracts to be awarded to two winners and their images used in the upcoming 2020 Visitor Guide and website.
However, some have been angered around the Terms and Conditions which state "all entries become and remain the property of the promoter".
General manager Mark Sleigh said the reasoning behind it was to get the public involved with a broad range of photos and styles.
"The reasoning behind the whole campaign was to get a broader range of photos than just engaging one photographer," he said.
"This was more about ... trying to put a community lens on all the fantastic things on what to do in Wollongong.
"In terms of the actual prize, when you look at it on a per photo basis it's not a lot different to what we would actually pay a professional photographer."
Photographer and videographer James Anderson told the Mercury it looked like a "free photo grab" and likened it to a similar backlash over an AFL photo competition.
Scotty Campbell warned people on the Mercury Facebook page to read the fine print and said entrants would be "exploited".
"This is how so many places - businesses, councils etc get practically their own free catalogue of photos," also wrote Lisa Maree Millar. "Very few competitions nowadays lack this clause of 'we are stealing your photos to use as we please'."
So far the response to the competition has largely been positive, said Mr Sleigh.
Photographers can submit their work via social media, tagging @VisitWollongong along with the #wollongongphototaker on the post. It runs until Sunday August 4.
For more details visit: http://www.visitwollongong.com.au/photo-taker-competition