A Barrack Heights man accused of participating in a group attack on a Woonona father trying to protect his daughter has been released on bail to attend an intensive drug rehabilitation program.
Police will allege Tray Naylor was one of three men who set upon the man in August this year, hitting and kicking him as he lay on the ground.
Documents previously tendered in court reveal the altercation began just after 9am when the girl's boyfriend braked on the roadway as he departed her home in Campbell Street, Woonona, in order to avoid a collision with a black Mazda that was coming out of the driveway of a neighbouring home at speed.
Police allege a man stepped out of the Mazda and confronted the boyfriend - throwing punches through the open window and at one point trying to take the keys from the car's ignition, before getting back in his car.
Police have been told the teen girl came out of her house once alerted to the incident and approached one of the alleged attackers to ask if he had seen anything.
It is alleged the teen got as far as calling out, "oi", only for the man to run at her, grab her around the throat and punch her twice to the face.
The girl's father then came outside and yelled, "where's the bloke that just punched my daughter, get him out now".
The man came outside and denied any wrongdoing before the two exchanged punches. According to police, the girl's dad "appeared to be getting the better in this exchange", but then the man was joined by Naylor and a third man.
Police allege a "highly aggressive" Naylor repeatedly punched the boyfriend, and kicked and hit the girl's father before allegedly arming himself with a skateboard.
Police described the alleged attack as "prolonged" and "vicious". It is alleged some of the incident was caught on camera and showed Naylor wielding the skateboard as a weapon.
Naylor was subsequently arrested, charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm in company and refused bail.
In court on Wednesday, defence lawyer Sarah Russoniello sought bail on Naylor's behalf, saying the 22-year-old had secured a spot in a full-time residential rehabilitation program in the Hawkesbury.
"Mr Naylor has drug and alcohol issues - these offences were committed under the influence of drugs and alcohol," Ms Russoniello said.
The court heard Naylor's mother had agreed to lodge a $2,000 bond to secure her son's release from prison.
Prosecutor James Loosley opposed Naylor's bail application, claiming he posed an unacceptable risk to community safety if released into the community.
He noted Naylor had a number of breaches of bail on his record, as well as convictions for failing to turn up to court, and that warrants for his arrest had been issued in the past.
However, Magistrate Claire Girotto agreed to grant bail for Naylor to attend the rehabilitation program.
The matter will return to court at a later date.