Organisers of a pro-Palestine protest say an upcoming rally in Sydney will go ahead despite police and the state's premier rejecting their plan to take to the streets.
Police launched a task force to co-ordinate responses to protest activity across NSW after a widely condemned rally on the steps of the Sydney Opera House.
It will gather intelligence about community sentiment, potential protest activity and possible demonstrations that might take place in the future.
The Monday-night rally was held as the NSW government lit the iconic venue in the blue and white of the Israeli flag in solidarity with victims of terrorist attacks by Islamist group Hamas.
Some attendees chanted anti-Jewish rhetoric and lit flares, actions denounced by rally organisers Palestine Action Group.
Organiser Josh Lees told AAP a planned Sunday rally at Town Hall would still go ahead despite police saying it was unauthorised.
"We're very confident Sunday will be a peaceful protest (and) we've made it clear those racist views are not welcome," he said.
"This is a movement against racism."
NSW Police acting commissioner David Hudson said relevant paperwork had not been submitted to police within the required seven-day notice period, meaning those rallying faced arrest if they blocked roads.
"I would urge anyone considering attending Town Hall, if they have received notification of assembly, that the situation should be monitored closely and we will be doing further communication and negotiations with those organisers," he said.
"(Protesters) do not have protections that come from the appropriate issue of (the paperwork) and they will be dealt with appropriately."
If the rally went ahead, Mr Hudson said it would be met with a strong police presence.
While accepting prior Palestine Action Group rallies had been peaceful, NSW Police pledged to reject further protest applications due to Monday's events.
"The behaviour that has been seen and quite clearly depicted through the media is unacceptable," Mr Hudson said.
"We can no longer say that that group is responsible for conducting peaceful protests."
But Mr Lees said much of the anger expressed on Monday night had been in response to the "provocative and insensitive" decision by the state government to display the Israeli flag on the Opera House.
More than 1000 people are dead after the Islamist group Hamas attacked Israeli towns from the Palestinian territories on Saturday.
Among them was Sydney grandmother Galit Carbone, who was executed at the Be'eri kibbutz, kilometres from the Gaza Strip.
Federal Home Affairs Minister Clare O'Neil asked those rallying to consider how their attendance appeared after the "unspeakable violence" and terrorism.
"Please think about how your attendance at these events affects Jewish Australians who are living through an unbelievable tragedy," she told Sky News.
Mr Minns apologised to the Jewish community for the way the Sydney protest was handled.
He said he took "full responsibility" and promised it would not happen again.
"The protest organisers have already proven that they're not peaceful: shouting racial epithets at Jewish community members is not the definition of a peaceful protest," he said.
"So the idea that they're going to commandeer Sydney streets is not going to happen."
But the Greens accused the Minns government of "pouring fuel on the flames of division" within the Sydney community.
"Statements from senior government ministers and the opposition that the protest at the Opera House was an illegal and unlawful gathering, are simply untrue and terribly oppressive," state MP Sue Higginson said.
"People do not need permission from the police to peacefully assemble and protest on public land and senior members of the government should know this."
Australian Associated Press