Scroll down for a list of fun ideas for beating boredom these school holidays (half of them don't cost a thing).
Spring break runs from September 30 to October 11.
1. After-dark light painting at Reddall Parade
As part of The Big Draw After Dark, Shellharbour is hosting a light painting experience with artist Peter Solness. Registration essential. Details.
2. Cookie Monster, Warrawong Plaza
Visit the Sesame Street Activity Centre, featuring Cookie's Bakery and decorate a cookie. Details. NB. A previous version of this story incorrectly listed two events at Warrawong Plaza. The Mercury apologises for this error and any inconvenience caused.
3. Harry Potter interactive movie, Wollongong libraries
Grab your bag of treats and props to interact during the much-loved fantasy flick at Dapto, Thirroul and Wollongong libraries over the break. Rated PG for ages five plus. Bookings essential. Details
4. Kids Climbing Wall, Crown Street Mall
Visit the kids climbing wall from 10am to 3pm on October 5 and 12. Waiting times vary. Head to the rooftop of Level 4 Crown Building car park (P2) to take part in the Savvy Fitness program (soccer, hip-hop, Zumba, basketball, dance and more). Details.
5. The Farm's Market at Killalea State Park
Bring the family and make a day of it on October 6 from 10am-2pm. There's plenty of grass for the kids to play, and enjoy the live music and spectacular views. Details.
6. Kids cooking class, Figtree Grove
Sign the kids up for cooking classes from September 30 to October 4 from 10am-10.45am and 12pm-12.45pm outside Coles. Bookings essential. Details.
7. The Angry Birds, Shellharbour Club
Catch up on The Angry Birds Movie before watching the sequel at the cinemas. Free screening on September 30 at 11am in the Precinct. Details.
8. Health and Wellbeing Market, Nan Tien Institute
Support local growers and artisans while browsing items to brighten your heart on October 5 from 9.30am to 3pm. Drop-in meditation, Tai Chi, mindfulness talks, vegetarian and vegan cuisine round out a peaceful day. Details.
9. Bunnings, Holiday Fun Workshops
10. Cascades Walk, Macquarie National Park
For an easy walk through shady rainforest, take the Cascades Walk to a beautiful waterfall and pool at the base of Macquarie Pass. Details.
11. HARS Tarmac Day, Shellharbour Airport
Visitors will be able to board and sit in some of the aircraft cockpits including F-111C fighter bomber and Neptune submarine hunter. There will also be guided tours of the aircraft on display. Details.
12. Illawarra Festival of Wood, Bulli Showground
See some of the world's most respected artisans at this special event the whole family can be part of. Workshops, exhibitions, performances and more on October 12 and 13 from 10am to 5pm. Details.
13. Folk By the Sea festival, Kiama
Experience more than 150 artists and 140 concerts, dances and sessions at different venues across Kiama from September 27 to 29. Details.
14. Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts, IPAC
Merringong Theatre brings the ultimate fairy tale mash-up to Wollongong on October 4 and 5 at 10am and 12.30pm. Bookings essential. Details.
15. Backyard Science, Science Space Wollongong
Explore the wonderful world of minibeasts with a butterfly house, creepy crawlies museum, stick insects encounter, creature-building STEM activity, eat-a-bug challenge, beehive visit and more. Details.
16. LOL Doll Dance Party, Shellharbour Club
Young LOL lovers can expect chunky glitter face art, balloons, fun and games and dancing on October 2 from 11am to 12.30pm in the Macquarie Room. Bookings essential. Details.
17. Ceramic workshops, Black Duck Studio
Kids can take their pick between hand-building with clay and painting a ready-made ceramic piece at these Fairy Meadow workshops. Details.
18. Treetop Walk sunrise tour, Illawarra Fly Treetop Adventures
19. Hocus Pocus Abracadabra, Wollongong Botanic Garden
Grab a wand and head to the botanic garden for a magical medieval adventure. Daily activities include the Wizards of Mugworts garden show, a Magical Creatures treasure hunt and witch crafts. Details.
20. Green Connect farm tour, Warrawong
Take a look around this urban farm in Warrawong with its market gardens, slow-producing fruit forests and free-range sheep, pigs and chickens. Details.