Illawarra residents are advised to stay out of the water as big surf pummels the NSW coastline.
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a hazardous surf warning for the Illawarra, Sydney, Hunter and Macquarie.
Conditions will be hazardous for coastal activities such as surfing and swimming, but particularly for boating and rock fishing.
Saturday's forecast is mostly sunny, with a top of 17 degrees and westerly 20 to 30km/h winds turning northwesterly in the evening.
The winds are expected to continue on Sunday, growing stronger on Monday before easing in the afternoon.
Authorities advise that:
- People should consider staying out of the water and avoid walking near surf-exposed areas.
- Rock fishers should avoid coastal rock platforms exposed to the ocean and seek a safe location that is sheltered from the surf.
- Boaters planning to cross shallow water and ocean bars should consider changing or delaying their voyage.
- Boaters already on the water should carry the appropriate safety equipment and wear a lifejacket.
- Boaters should remember to log on with their local Marine Rescue radio base, via VHF Radio or the Marine Rescue APP, and consider their safety management plan.