Legendary singer-songwriter Bob Dylan was the first act to officially open the WIN Entertainment Centre on September 5, 1998.
Twenty-years later, the Hurricane hit-maker returned to celebrate the milestone at the venue, reinforcing the pulling power Wollongong has.
“To have Bob come back, we’re really grateful to [tour promotoer] Michael Chugg who was instrumental in bringing Bob to us the first time, it’s amazing to have a huge artist celebrating that milestone with us,” venue manager Marc Swan told the Mercury.
“That makes it special to be able to continue to host the biggest names int he world in our big yard.”
Mr Swan wouldn’t divulge if a bespoke green leather armchair was ordered for the occasion (as was in 1998), but did say “nothing too outrageous” was on the star’s wish list.
“Obviously with an artist like Bob there’s are a lot of requirements, we’re making sure all the basics are right,” he said.
Last year the city hosted mega-star Elton John, then later this year Cher added Wollongong to her national tour with more big names being negotiated to come our way.
Mr Swan said there was a constant “cycle of business development” though hopefully some more acts would be announced soon for concerts in 2019.
Send us your pictures from Monday’s Bob Dylan concert – to COS@IllawarraMercury.com.au