Onlookers at North Beach on Wednesday morning were wondering what all the fun was about when they saw people dressed in all manner of attire doing some crazy things.
In reality it was part of a fun learning exercise for 20 TAFE students involved in organising the ninth annual Amazing Race Wollongong.
They held a launch on the beach to call for businesses and community groups to enter four member teams for the fundraising initiative started by the Novotel's Emily Squires and Chantelle Esteves almost a decade ago.
On September 20 the hospitality and events management students will be overseeing and coordinating Amazing Race activities.
So the launch was a chance for them to dress up and take on the challenges themselves.
Mrs Esteves is hoping for a record number of teams on September 20 with money raised going to several charities.
"We still have an early bird special on until August 20. It is $160 for a team of four and we are hoping to get at least 30 teams. Peoplecare are back as gold sponsors and they always have teams in the race as does Savvy Fitness. Bob Wheway from UOW always comes along and has check points in the race.
"This year we are supporting a collection of charities including AIME, Lifeline, Garvan Medical Research Institute and the Kokoda Youth Foundation".
Student Alycia Bencic said her involvement had already been a good practical learning experience.
"It has been great so far. We have been reaching out to local businesses to see if they will sponsor us with some check points in the Amazing Race," she said.
Fellow student Tim Tapia said it was great to be able to run through some of the activities teams will be challenged with during the actual race.
"It is giving us a feel for how things will go on the day," he said.
- Wollongong's Amazing Race won by The Shellharbour Club team for a third time
- Entries open for Wollongong's Amazing Race which will raise money for Convoy with the help of TAFE students
- Registrations open for Wollongong's Amazing Race involving Peoplecare, the Novotel Wollongong Northbeach and NSW TAFE
- Fun guaranteed at Amazing Race Wollongong 2014
- The 2015 Amazing Race Wollongong will raise funds for charity
- Amazing Race Wollongong: And the winners are ...
- Could you complete Amazing Race Wollongong challenges?
- Novotel Wollongong Northbeach wins three major Accor awards